Monday, August 4, 2008

Relative Oppression

So now that we have started this blog, the pressure to perform is immense. And I have performance anxiety. Me too, and I've been so busy procrastinating on school stuff that it's taking up my whole life...
However the wedding this weekend I feel provided excellent commentary fodder.

Pantyhose: Is it still necessary to wear them to an evening wedding?
I didn't know that it was still necessary to wear pantyhose. I am really put out by the fact that they still exist, to be honest. I mean, how are people ever going to realize that cellulite is a fact of life if we keep putting it back in the casing...?
I was under the impression that if it was an informal wedding in the summer it was okay to forgo them. This was cross referenced by my own moral compass when I put my thumb through mine fifteen minutes before it was time to leave for my cousin's wedding Saturday. My mother I think, didnt think so. Of course, all the girls my age or younger werent wearing hose. But shame on me for checking etiquette by those of my generation or younger.
You know, its just a shame that people dont even pay attention anymore. I know that since the hippies and the feminists etiquette has been the way of the oppressed, but I really feel like if we followed the spirit of etiquette, which is behave in such a manner as to make a all people feel the most comfortable at all times, then this one girl wouldnt have showed up in a skin tight electric blue dress clearly looking hotter than the blushing but ample bride.


But, how did it turn out besides the chick in the electric blue dress? WERE people your age wearing hose? I dont remember seeing anyone else my age. My cousin, closest to my age, was wearing a suit. What about my age, etc? Actually come to think of it, everyone older than me, with the exception of my mother, was wearing pant suits. What is the hose cut off??
Further, I don't think it's right to equate wearing hose with etiquette. I mean, your statement is that the "spirit of etiquette, which is behave in such a manner as to make a all people feel the most comfortable at all times." How does that relate to wearing pantyhose? You're going to be uncomfortable (I really dont think self comfort is actually supposed to be considered. Its actually kinda antithetical to the whole idea) at the expense of everyone being uncomfortable by your white legs? I mean, why are they uncomfortable about your legs? Im sure the whiteness of your legs is actually not what pantyhose is about, its about propriety. Besides, if you are embracing YOUR idea of etiquette, then you are wearing an appropriate length dress and then it won't much matter. And thats what I am saying, since it is not longer social code that only loose women dont wear hose, then it shouldnt matter that I dont wear hose because bare legs dont scream look at me, like a too short dress or a metallic one might.
My thing with eitquette is that no one really knows what the rules are and they are often archaic (Sure the old rules might be archaic, but we must learn them to forge new ones as we study ancient governments to strengthen our own) and how can everyone be comfortable with rules outside of their usual daily procedures? And again I reiterate, there need to be rules for all to follow for the comfort of the general populous because individual comfort is so varied. I mean take lawn care just as an example. Why can't everyone just be comfortable with how each person cares or doesnt for there own lawn? I mean why should neighborhoods enforce lawn heights and why does everyone scowl at the guy who does no landscaping? Because one mans dandelions...

2 comments:

Sara said...

My opinion on hose is that they look weird in pictures. Why have black legs when your arms and face or white? And we all know that "nude" is always darker than your own flesh, so therefore you end up with a fake looking tan on your legs. If it's cold, I think tights that match your dress are appropriate...a kind of extention of the dress material, if you will. If you can bear the cold, go bare. Shave your legs, slap on a little self tanner, lotion them up so their shiny, do a few calf raises to pump them up a bit, and enjoy showing off the sexy limbs. Hose are for GRANDMAS!!!!!!!

Heather said...

Ummm, nude is only darker than your skin if you're white, which not everyone is. It's like saying that the flesh crayon that used to be in the Crayola set was an actual depiction of everyone's flesh.

I'm just saying. Tina herself doesn't recognize that other skin colors exist either, so it's all good...

HA!