Sunday, August 31, 2008

Reliving the songs of my youth...

Heather says:

Tina has been trying to hook us up with a play list for our site. It's supposed to be made up from a cd that I made her -- that she LOST -- of songs I think "she should know." Well, I'm really not a music afficianado. I just have the songs from my youth, mostly... Some of those, I don't think I would have have said she should KNOW, but as I try to recreate mixed tapes of my youth, here are some songs and what not that were staples. Julia is a regular reader and I guarantee she will help with a comment or two of either songs that I forced her to listen to OR songs that she mixed taped me that I remembered liking. After all, she is how I even knew who the Beautiful South were and really Sail this Ship Alone and Love Song to Nobody don't even compare to each other, much less to 36B.

And while I could never regularly listen to the songs of my younger years that I found "important" because they are so fucking depressing, these are still some of my favorite songs of all time. From then until I can last remember paying attention to music before just listening to NPR, in no particular order to be edited from time to time...

Troy Sinead O'Connor... I'll remember it Dublin in a rainstorm
... But also Just like you said it would B, I want your (hands on me), I am Stretched on your grave (note: I will never forget the beat of that song once I hear the title... ), and again... Most of the album I Do Not Want what I haven't got is primo stuff -- just cuts a hole in your gut thinkign about the teen angst that it riles up
How Beautiful You Are the Cure ... actually lots of Cure songs, but mostly more obscure ones like Love Cats, Why Can't I Be You?, Closer (the riff will ALWAYS make me think of that Sam Montage video), 10:15 on a Saturday night (drip, drip, drip...)

White Rabbit Jefferson Airplane

Vincent Don McClean... you know him because of american pie, but Vincent is the reason that Katrina and I are friends

book of Love don't know who but true cheese and just fabulous
Sea of Love.. the Robert Plant version, not the Honey Drippers
so many Smiths songs... some of my favorites are Stop Me if You think you've heard this one before, last night I dreamt that somebody loved me, unhappy birthday, paint a vulgar picture (which is very long, but you forgive it because they use words like sycophantic and who talks that??); "panic" has other lines often quotes, as well as sheila take a bow... actually, now that I look at the playlist from louder than bombs I love every single one in its own way

lots of enya songs... I used to be a HUGE fan... but only of the Watermark album I could just never get into the rest Evening Falls was frequently included on mix tapes as a segue as well as On Your Shore. ESPECIALLY, if i had a crush on you. ::: swooning::: THAT song is like the James Garner/whatsherface part of The Notebook what it does to me. Has always made me believe in forever

Indigo Girls... especially their version of Romeo & Juliet and then the song they're most known for Galileo but the song they are most known for on my road trips is Moment of Forgiveness

Another Katrina song and I am too tired/drunk to remember the title/artist but the gist of the title is that "it feels so good, feeling good again" -- that song has gotten me through a lot of hard times

In fact, on the mixed cd she copied for me the other song following it is "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins and that helps too

Also, don't know the artist but Build Me Up, Buttercup or whatever that is called -- no matter how bad a mood I am in, I can usually get out of it with that song

Also, Journey, Don't Stop Believing
ABBA Dancing Queen, Money, Money, Money, Fernando, Thank You for the Music, Does Your Mother Know?
Bee Gees Staying Alive, How Deep is your love?

If I can't have you off of the Saturday Night Fever album

Pink - Just Like a Pill, Get this Party Started, Family Portrait

Billy Joel... Oy, where to start? Downeaster Alexis, Innocent Man, We didn't start the fire, And so it goes...

No Doubt... Bathwater, Ex-Girlfriend, Spiderwebs, Just a Girl

the song from our wedding Forever... "not talking about a year, no not three or four...."

Van Morrison... Moon Dance, of course, but OUR song is Someone Like You

Anyways. Tina OUR song is always going to be Since You've Been Gone... Ironic, but there you go.

Until I'm sober and interested enough to add more...

Tina says: This is what I am doing until I am BORED enough to do more! LOL


No comments: