Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Definitions...

Well then I suppose I shall be green. I like green. Not that I am in support of earth friendliness. Not that I am against. The Mayans believe the Earth will die in 2012. Where will all our conservation leave us then?

See, I feel this way about quitting smoking and drinking and eating healthy, etc. Sure, I could do all that (it's my imagination), but if I'm going to die anyways -- who cares? Did I ever tell you about the time that Scott said they were testing some project that was trying to reinvent the Big Bang and "just thought I'd let you know because if they actually do it then the world is going to end in 2 weeks..."? I felt like, if you had known that why did you let me pay the mortgage on time?

Digression... Isn't the point of our blog digression?

Nothing so fortifies a friendship as a belief on the part of one friend that he is superior to the other.
- Honore de Balzac

I enjoyed this quote this morning. I thought of you and all of our better house entertainment trends and givers and takers synergistic discussions. The funny thing is, we work so well because we are each good at our part. Each superior, but at our own way. It's funny how mankind is so arrogant. Its funny how we perhaps are superior, but yet we arent.

Ryan and I were discussing (something to do with pop culture and science and I said well it depends on whether you are young earth or old earth creationist) that people dont always mean what they say. Or know what they say means. Take for example the word superior.
It has at least 13 definitions by my count on dictionary.com.
Having to do with moral compass, military rank, age, location on the body etc.
There is an entire branch of philosophy dedicated to the defining of words and there meanings. How could there not be with well I was going to say the number of words that Eskimos have for snow and when I tried to find out how many words Eskimos have for snow I found this:

Wiki: It is a popular urban legend that the Inuit or Eskimo have an unusually large number of words for snow. The legend has snowballed from "dozens" to "hundreds" to "thousands" of words for snow.
In reality, the number of words depends on the definitions of Eskimo (there are a number of languages) and snow, and on the method of counting numbers of words in languages that have quite different grammatical structures from English.
Which of course just proves my point. Which by this point in time, I have forgotten except for this. You may think what you think, but remember what you think may not infact be what you think. You may say what you mean, but what you have said may not infact be what you meant.
And you can be superior and inferior at the same time, so don't let any of us get a big head about it.

And speaking of superior, in fact is IN FACT two different words. Grrrr.

Heather, I think I started off this talking to you, and of course by the end am disseminating cake to the populous.
So, it's your fault the populous is fat? All this time I was blaming McDonald's. (Or is this some reference I'm missing again?)

No comments: